UNIFIED NIGERIAN YOUTH FORUM
Great Youths, Unified Nigeria
DESCRIPTION OF THE ORGAZINATION
The UNYF is a youth led non-profit and non-partisan organization that lobbies, advocates, promotes and fights for the rights of all youths in Nigeria.
We aim to build the confidence and awareness of all youth so that they can assert their rights.
The UNYF also works to empower and enlighten youths to participate actively in the society to improve their own lives, by representing and advocating their needs and interests and those of their organizations towards the attainment of their desired goals.
Another major aim of this group is to bridge the gap or the artificial barrier created by lack of foresight of our past leaders between the northern and southern youths in Nigeria towards the betterment of the country.
And with this being a social media era, we reach the millennial population via Facebook and twitter to speak on issues plaguing our society, the ways UNYF wants to help and how we can coexist in a world where ethnicity and issues of race prevail. We have a following of 17,000 thousand on Facebook and 16,500 followers on Twitter. We hope to expand and reach more.
As a youth led organization that is targeted at youth enlightenment, empowerment and unity, the four important areas that our work focuses on are;
1. WORKING WITH YOU:
We increase youth’s awareness about their rights so they can change things for themselves
2. SPEAKING UP, FIGHTING FOR AND MAKING CHANGE:
We stand up for our rights in organizations like District Councils to make sure we are included in their work
3. GETTING YOU INVOLVED:
We go out and meet other youths from all over Nigeria to tell us what they think needs to be changed in government and/or their community
4. GETTING THE MESSAGE OUT:
We provide opportunities for youths to meet face to face with policy makers e.g. Legislators, Captains of Industries, Clergies etc and others who make decisions about us)
1. Youths being at the heart of all we do;
2. Protecting and upholding the rights of youths;
3. Making sure everyone has a fair chance in what he/she does regardless of gender, ethnic or religious affiliations;
4. Being open and honest in all we do;
5. Working with other groups that share our vision and who will help us make it happen;
DESCRIPTION OF PROJECTS REALISED IN THE SCOPE OF PROGRAMMES
- Almajiri Project
Aim of the project: The Almajiri population are an often neglected part of our society and viewed as a nuisance. But NYF believes that everyone is equal in society and these scholars need our help in terms of health care. Hence, the purpose of this project was provision of first aid kits for the vagrant scholars.
The specific objectives:
- In collaboration with the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), The Human Rights Watch, Blueprint Newspapers, Kaduna Vigilante Group, The NYF event on Integration, Peace and Unity was held on Saturday, the 19th of May at Arewa House, Kaduna. Reputable members of society presented papers on the security challenges concerning Northern Nigeria, the ills of society and the importance of education.
- The NYF also spoke in-depth of the problems facing the neglected Almajiri group and the approaches necessary to cater to their increasing needs.
- There was presentation of the first aid kits to some of the beneficiaries and further initiatives to continue catering to this group was discussed.